Simone Hristidis comes to York Prep with years of experience in publishing, marketing, business and education. As a native New Yorker herself, she attended a Manhattan private school nearby on the Upper West Side. She hails from a prominent publishing family who owned and operated an illustrious, creative and successful theatrical Playbill and marketing company here in NYC. Thus, at an early age, Simone worked in journalism, marketing, and theatrical directing. After college, she turned her talents to education. She spent 17 years at Columbia Grammar and Prep, serving in many roles, the most significant of which was as Director of Admissions and Head of the Lower School. In these positions, she was fully involved in curriculum development, parent engagement, faculty advancement, board relations, marketing, fundraising and enrollment growth. She has a reputation for problem solving, serving as the agent of change and innovations emphasizing the whole child and best practices, and possessing tremendous business acumen with expertise in growth and renewal.
Special accomplishments at CGPS over the last seventeen years include:
- Initiated the creation of a Student-Centered Environment empowering students to become responsible for their learning and self- advocacy skills.
- Lead efforts in the area of sustainability, creating the Green School Alliance and founding a school-wide Farmer’s Market run by the students
- Developed extensive Professional Development Opportunities for the faculty, a
comprehensive associate teachers program, PLC (professional learning community), and peer coaching model. Participated in a year-long initiative in partnership with Bank Street College of Education to help teachers examine and develop the use of their classroom spaces
- Fostered a Caring Community of parents, students and teachers by initiating school-wide and grade-wide events including: Bowling Event, Food Day, My NY Day, International Festival, PowWow, Wax Museum and Greek Day as well as special guest assemblies.
- Revitalized the curriculum with the creation of an immersive Spanish Language Program for the Lower School, a revamp of the Math and Science curriculum and the creation of a Maker Space.
- Assisted the school though effective Financial Management. Introduced new efforts in the areas of financial aid, enrollment management and fundraising
- Created and directed the CGPS Summer Camp 1990-2005, growing to more than 200 students 4-10 years olds becoming a substantial revenue source for the school.
- Served as teacher from 1986-1995
Simone received her higher education at Bank Street Graduate School and Harvard Graduate School of Education: The Principal’s Center for Leadership and received a B.A. cum laude from Barnard College/Columbia University. She has three children of which she is most proud. In her free time, Simone enjoys the theatre, reading, cooking, travel, and knitting.
We are lucky to have such an accomplished, capable, innovative, creative, welcoming and kind administrator to help lead York Prep into the 21st century!